Advancing the Systematic Study of Government, Politics, & Public Policy
The Michigan Political Science Association (MIPSA)* is a nonpartisan state professional association of educators, scholars, students, and practitioners dedicated to advancing the systematic study of government, politics, and public policy. In support of this broad mission, the association seeks to
- provide forums for the presentation of political science research;
- promote excellence in teaching;
- foster collaboration among researchers, educators, and practitioners; and
- foster communication among political science faculties at all of Michigan’s institutions of higher education.
MIPSA seeks to advance all subfields, areas, and levels of study within political science. However, as a state organization, the association has special responsibilities to
- promote the study of Michigan government, politics, and public policy;
- promote the study of special concerns to Michigan, such as Great Lakes environmental policy, Canadian government and politics, and tribal government and politics; and
- foster student research, both graduate and undergraduate.
MIPSA sponsors an annual conference each year in October on the campus of one of its member institutions. The association also grants paper awards for graduate and undergraduate students. A number of new initiatives are planned or in the process of being implemented.
*MIPSA was founded in 1969 as the Michigan Conference of Political Scientists. The organization changed its name to the Michigan Political Science Association in 2012.